Thursday, August 12, 2010

Breastfeeding Woes

I have been breastfeeding since Anna-Lee was born on June 28, 2005. Through two full term pregnancies. I tandem nursed for six months after Reese was born and for two months after Lucy was born. I've been through pump incompatibility resulting in recurrent plugged ducts, an 8 month battle with thrush (that caused a 1lb weight loss in Reese), and the normal pains of nursing while pregnant. None of these things ever made me think of stopping breastfeeding.

However, I'm in the midst of the most draining string of nursing troubles. Troubles that make me see why giving up is so tempting to so many moms. It started July 4th. I had mastitis. No big deal. It was on the left side, which is the side I rarely have problems with. But my immune system was weak, I'd had surgery 13 days before. I took garlic and felt better in a few days. A week and a half later, I had some gallbladder sttacks. They lasted a week. During that time I could hardly eat, which tanked my milk supply. So I was nursing a ton to get it back up. I got a plugged duct on the right side which caused another round of mastitis and a milk bleb. Which causes the duct behind it to keep plugging. It'll keep releasing then reforming. Even with taking lecithin, nursing on demand, heating packs, etc. We saw a breastfeeding doctor last week and the bleb had went away but returned last night.

I am getting so discouraged. I'm doing all the right things and none of it seems to be working. This is the first time I can see formula as tempting. Me, who has nursed two kids into toddlerhood. I won't go the formula route. But I'm considering giving up nursing on the right side. The pain is awful. Even worse is the relief I get when the bleb goes away, the duct unplugs, and all is well for a few days only to wake up with it starting all over again. I'm calling the doctor again tomorrow. And, if she thinks it will help, I will yet again make the 60 mile one way trip to see her. I am not giving up on breastfeeding. Not yet. I admit, if Lucy were older than 4 months, I would probably give it more consideration. Then again, breastfeeding hasn't been optional for our family since a few weeks after Anna-Lee was born. And my stubborn streak is a wide one. So if we were to give up, it would only be after one hell of a fight.

This battle does make me a lot more understanding of women who DO give up when faced with challenges. I'm lucky to be staying home right now and to have a supportive partner. If I were dealing with a demanding job, regular pumping, a husband who didn't share my strong opinions on breastfeeding importance, and a tribe of mamas who have helped make breastfeeding my norm, I probably wouldn't have nursed the older girls as long as I did or continue to fight through these blebs.

2 comments:

  1. Good on you! Hope that you can battle through.
    I have one daughter (now nine months) and am just getting to the stage where I want to wean her down to one BF a day. We've survived incredibly difficult first two weeks and recently undiagnosed thrush (doc and local clinic didn't know what the prob was.)
    Husband wants me to quite because I have lost so much weight from BF and work keeps hinting that they'd like me to go back to my normal non-pumping schedule (although I have to go home to pump anyway, there's nowhere at work I can.)
    But it's certainly worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost a lot of weight nursing my oldest as well. Too bad it didn't continue with the younger two! All kidding aside, I know how very draining that is. Our thrush was undiagnosed as well. My daughter's doctor said she was allergic to my milk and recommended soy formula. We knew that wasn't the problem, and thankfully the store I worked at had a breastfeeding event featuring a local LC who took the time to listen to me and diagnose our issue.

    Good luck with your nursing relationship! It is such a special time in a baby's life, and one you'll cherish for a lifetime. :)

    ReplyDelete