Sunday, February 22, 2009

The sick house...

that's where it feels like I'm living. We've all got various coughs, colds, sniffles, etc. And the baby has a raging, open, blister-y diaper rash from the combo of teething (bottom molars) and being sick. I'm trying to get as much garlic and vitamin C into all of us, and unfortunately the baby will be going into disposable diapers for a spell to allow us to use some stronger rash creams. Our dryer is broken right now anyway, it's too cold to hang things outside, and we can't keep up with her if we try to let things hang dry inside.

My husband acts worse than the kids when he is sick and is the one least likely to take a proactive step to get better. It's frustrating.

I caved in this week and went to see a doctor. It's been well over six months, probably closer to a year or so since I've slept longer than 3 hours at a time. I've been mentally and physically rundown so long that I don't remember what it feels like to be rested. The doctor gave me some AmbienCR to help get myself back on a better schedule. Three days later and I feel like a different person. Well, I would if I weren't sick, that is! I'm remembering things I was supposed to do long ago and never did. I feel horrible about some of them, too, and am spending this week righting those wrongs. Its like I'm coming out of a huge fog. And thankfully I am getting tired on my own now, so I am going to start weaning off of the Ambien. I'm hoping this allows me to be the woman I've been trying (and failing) to be.

In an effort to cut out as much refined sugar as possible, I picked up some Agave nectar from a local grocery store. I've never used it, but hoping it tastes good. I'm also trying Rice Milk for the first time in my effort to cut out dairy (but cheese is so good!!!! It's my one downfall in the dairy section) and soy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise - sorry you guys all have the yuckies! I'm really happy for you that you got a solution to your sleeping issues though! Those things are there for a reason! I have sleeping problems too - mine is that I can't fall asleep until like 1am at the very earliest, but its usually more like 2 or 3. DS lets me sleep usually until 8 or 8:30 and DH lets me sleep in on the weekends most of the time, so I'm not quite as deprived as you were, but its still not right. I've tried melatonin, but it gives me really crazy dreams and I don't feel like I've slept at all when I take it! Maybe I should try some valerian root next, but I'm afraid I might end up needing some stronger help than that too. It will help a lot that I won't be working until 10 pm anymore though - every time I've had an evening job I get into this bad pattern...

    I know you're kind of going through a lot right now but maybe one of these days if you can find a minute, I'd really love to take you up on your massage offer! I have a very tight shoulder that has some bursitis, not to mention just regular stress...I can't afford a full massage fee, but I can pay you a little something for your time! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, melatonin did weird things to me, too. Valerian worked pretty well, I just think it didn't do enough because the problem had gotten so far out of hand, ya know? When I was pregnant with Reese the mw suggested it and it really helped, so maybe you should give it a shot!

    The next couple weeks are busy; a friend is coming from Texas for her spring break so I'm getting the house ready and going to be spending as much time as possible with her, but after that we can definitely find time for a massage!

    ReplyDelete